Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Beauty

There is a phrase, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and that is true. What is beautiful to me may not be to you and vise verse. But when society makes a standard of beauty it many time affects what I see as beauty. A new fashion comes out, one I would not have pieced together, but it is now the "style" and I begin to see it differently and in my mind it can many times become beauty to me as well.

We as women, mothers & wives struggle, at least I do, with beauty. The right figure, hair style, clothes you wear. As women we are naturally going to be into our looks as we care what our husband thinks or even what others think. We worry about dying our hair to cover the gray, clothes to flatter our figure, whether we put on a few pounds, etc. The list goes on and on.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take pleasure in taking care of ourselves. I know I feel better when I eat healthier or go to the gym. Mentally it helps me to feel good. I like to paint my nails and wear make-up. Dressing up and looking nice can be fun. But my identity is not in those things. I can get caught up in the "beauty of the world" and be sidetracked from my beauty in God.

Did you know that twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less! Plus size is now considered between 6 & 14! No matter how much weight I lost I would always be considered "plus size." I am tall and big boned. Could you imagine me trying to loose weight to be smaller than a size 6? Um, that's not going to happen! Most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller! No wonder I can never find anything to fit right! LOL...It has taken me years to be comfortable in my own skin. And yet I still struggle at times.

But remember these words in Psalm 139-13-15;
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

God made you and loves you just as you are. What we choose to meditate on can affect every area of your life, including how you see yourself. Yes, I may have stretch marks, I have a few extra pounds from multiple pregnancies. I have gray hair and wear glasses... BUT!
But... I am wonderfully made
But... I am beautiful in the sight of God
But... God cares what is on the inside, in my heart

When I think on these things THAT beauty can be seen on the outside. And nothing is more attractive!

No comments:

Post a Comment