Thursday, September 1, 2011

Do you want to be a mom?

I sat down to watch The View the other day. It happened to be the day that a mom was on talking about how she didn't want to be a mom. It was an interesting topic and quite controversial. The link below is her interview on The View, it's about 7 minutes long.

http://www.feministpress.org/news-events/rahna-reiko-rizzuto-today-show

I remember about 12 years ago I realized I just wanted to be a wife, mom and have lots of kids. Now being a mother of five, it is very hard for me to imagine leaving my children. I can barely ask for help to have someone watch them so I can go out and do something on my own. I miss them and want the with me.

This particular mom said at one point in her interview that she loved her kids but not in the middle of the night when they were sick. For me those are the times I love. Not the kids being sick or having to clean it up but the part of taking care of them. Of course you hate the lack of sleep but the moment when your child needs you and wants you to take care of them is the part that fills my heart with the joy of motherhood, the bonding with your child at times that others don't get.

Listening to her, I do logically understand. I know woman deserve lives of their own. We have ambitions, goals, dreams. I recently read a book by Joyce Meyer called; Any Minute. (You can see my full blog on my coffee corner page about the book - it is a fiction story). The mother in this book was working her way up the corporate ladder and in the mean time loosing her family because she invested more time at work that with her husband and children. It took a horrific accident for her to slow down. She didn't quit working, didn't become a full time mom but in the end she learned to balance her work life with her family and the way she treated people changed.

They mention in this interview how; if it was a man it wouldn't be an issue but because it was a woman it's controversial. What are your thoughts?

I think I come back to these questions; At what cost are things worth it? When you get to the top of the ladder and your alone is it worth it? I really do think that what works for one doesn't work for all but relationships are part of the Christian life...where is the balance?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I think that people don't bat an eye when the man does it, b/c in today's society it's almost expected. Which to me is really sad. It should not be the norm for a dad to walk away from their children.

    I think that motherhood is a very serious step in life, and one that should not be taken lightly. It's that same as a marriage. Committed for life.

    I love being a mom. Even with a snarky 2 year old and a teething infant. I get no sleep, hardly ever get dressed (who wants to get dressed, when you find yourself getting all sorts of unknown things on your clothes?) am touched all the time, and sometimes just want me space. But when I'm gone I miss my kids! I truly couldn't ask for anything better than to be a mom.

    I was a nanny for a family who adopted. I never understood, why they would adopt a baby just to hire a nanny to take care of her.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete